The Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra is pleased to partner with The Robert H. N. Ho Family Hong Kong Foundation to present the Hong Kong Composers Scheme. This prestigious programme aims to identify and cultivate emerging local composers by offering them a unique platform to refine and deepen their skills in orchestral writing, and to have their works performed by one of Asia's foremost orchestras.
Each season, the Scheme selects four to six exceptional local composers to work alongside an acclaimed international composer on a new 3-4 minute orchestral piece. This engaging and dynamic collaboration culminates in a public workshop and showcase in May 2024, featuring the newly created works performed by the HK Phil. One outstanding composer amongst the group will then be honoured with a commission to create a new work for the HK Phil's 2024/25 season.
The Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra and The Robert H. N. Ho Family Hong Kong Foundation are proud to support emerging talent and look forward to showcasing the creative voices of the future in Hong Kong's vibrant classical music scene.
|OCT 2023||Information Day, Workshop, and Meet the Mentor|
|NOV 2023||Composition Ideas and Outline Submission|
Score Submission (1st draft)
3 3 3 3 - 4 3 3 1 - timp+2 - harp - strings
|MAR 2024||Score Submission (2nd draft)|
|25 MAY 2024||Public Working Session and Showcase with the HK Phil*|
(*Selected composers are required to attend these events)
2023/24 Guest Composer/ Mentor
- Aged 35 or under (as of 1 March 2023)
- Hong Kong permanent resident
- No prior commission works for a professional orchestra
Please submit a completed application form and the required documents below via email to email@example.com by the application deadline of 12:00 noon on 8 September 2023 (Friday). All documents should be in PDF format, total attachment size should not exceed 10 Mb. If the file size is too large, please provide URL links in the application. Download the application form here:
2023/24 The Robert H. N. Ho Family Hong Kong Foundation application has been closed. Thank you for your support!
- A copy of Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card
- CV (up to 2 pages of A4)
- Scores of two works with programme notes and URL links to their recordings/sound files
- A statement outlining your expectations of the Scheme (100-200 words)
- Reference letter(s) (optional, to be submitted by referee(s) directly via email to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before the application deadline of 8 September 2023)
- Selected composers will be notified via email on or before 31 October 2023
- The HK Phil will not consider any incomplete application
- The personal data provided will only be used by the HK Phil for processing your application and will be held for statistics, correspondence and publicity purposes. The filling of the application form is voluntary
- The HK Phil reserves the right to amend the application criteria as deemed necessary
- The HK Phil reserves all rights of final arbitration in case of any dispute
Date: 25 May 2024 (Sat)
Venue: The Box, Freespace, West Kowloon Cultural District
Carmen Ho Ka-man, Kahlen Kam Shing-hei, Tsang Lok-yan, Adrian Wong Chi-chun, Simon Yip Sai-man*, Yung Sin-kan
(Due to COVID-19, the Public Working Session & Showcase of thid season was postponed to 4 June 2022.)
Chan Ho-yi, Lai Chun-ming, Leung Chung-yin*, Ian Ng Ka-chun, Tam Lok-hei*, Wu Yimin
2019/20 House Programme
2018/19 House Programme