Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra Announces its 2021/22 Season Line-Up from September to December 2021
27 JUL 2021
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Director of Marketing
Tel: (852) 2721 9035
Media Relations and Communications Manager
Tel: (852) 2721 1585
Download 2021/22 Season Sep – Dec 2021 Programmes At A Glance [PDF]
Download 2021/22 Season Sep – Dec 2021 Brochure [PDF]
Download 2021/22 Season Sep – Dec 2021 Artists Photos
[27 July 2021, Hong Kong] The Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra (HK Phil) 2021/22 Season is coming in phases. Today, the orchestra announces mainstage programmes from September to December 2021 and collaborations with esteemed arts groups. An array of notable guest artists will be featured together with several premieres. A new discount scheme at URBTIX will also be introduced for this season, offering maximum flexibility and benefits to our Club Bravo members and for the general public.
“This season’s theme – Harbour A Love For Music – reflects my deep belief that classical music can be a source of peace, healing and unity.”
--- Jaap van Zweden, HK Phil Music Director
After an unprecedented period of challenges and isolation, Music Director Jaap van Zweden and the HK Phil invite the audience to share the orchestra’s music-making. Embark on a new musical journey with the HK Phil to harbour a love for music!
- JAAP is back! HK Phil Music Director Jaap van Zweden returns to Hong Kong,opening the 2021/22 Season on 3 & 4 September 2021, together with three more programmes including the signature Swire Symphony Under The Stars. HK Phil Concertmaster Jing Wang, pianist Avan Yu, violinist Zia Shin, and HK Phil piccolo player, Linda Stuckey, will join Jaap’s stage.
- Holiday concerts conducted by Principal Guest Conductor Yu Long and HK Phil Chorusmaster and bass-baritone Apollo Wong, along with a superb line-up of artists – mezzo-soprano Samantha Chong, soprano Yuki Ip, erhu player Yiwen Lu, violinist Ning Feng, pianist Serena Wang, guitarist Xuefei Yang, and two choirs – the HK Phil Chorus and The Hong Kong Children’s Choir.
- Music for everyone! Enjoy music by Mozart and John Williams, with David Greilsammer conducting while playing the piano, and Timothy Sun on saxophone; get ready for a monstrous treat with Steven Spielberg’s Jurassic Park in Concert – live music by the HK Phil and a big screen for the movie; let Happy Gabby take the children on a mischievous love at first flight musical adventure; hear the sound of the master of the guitar MILOŠ’s own Spanish heritage.
- SIX Fellows are selected for Fellowship Programme 2021/22 season of The Orchestra Academy Hong Kong, and will start intensive training with the HK Phil in September 2021.
- Collaborations with Opera Hong Kong, The Hong Kong Joy of Music Festival 2021, and HKU MUSE.
- A new discount scheme at URBTIX for Club Bravo members and the general public is introduced. The more programmes you purchase, the more you save. Tickets are available at URBTIX from 4 August 2021 (Wednesday) 10AM.
JAAP is back!
- The 2021/22 Season kicks off with Music Director Jaap van Zweden paying tribute to Beethoven with his life-affirming Symphony no. 7. HK Phil Concertmaster Jing Wang will perform Beethoven’s Violin Concerto. Openingthe concert is the world premiere of Raymond Yiu’s Old Bei, a HK Phil commission. (3 & 4 September 2021)
- In the second week, Jaap conducts one of his favourites as well as one of the greatest 19th century symphonies – Dvořák’s Symphony no. 7. Sharing the evenings is pianist Avan Yu in Rachmaninov’s Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini. Another premiere as the concert opener is the Asia premiere of British composer Anna Clyne’s Within Her Arms, turning a memory of her mother into music of timeless beauty. (10 & 11 September 2021)
- Jaap returns in November with more Beethoven, this time showing the composer’s heroic side in his Symphony no. 3, Eroica. As great things stem from tiny things, the world premiere of Piccolo Concerto by composer and HK Phil Principal Timpani James Boznos, a.k.a OZNO, showcases the true personality of this instrument – small but mighty – performed by the orchestra’s piccolo player Linda Stuckey. Beethoven Romance no. 2 begins the concert featuring emerging Korean violinist Zia Shin. (5 & 6 November 2021)
- Finally, Jaap brings the iconic Swire Symphony Under The Stars back to the Central Harbourfront! The highly awaited free annual mega-concert features all-time favourites suitable for everyone to enjoy under the spectacular skyline of Hong Kong. Keep an eye on HK Phil website for registration details! (13 November 2021)
Holiday concerts with Principal Guest Conductor Yu Long and Chorusmaster Apollo Wong
- Principal Guest Conductor Yu Long leads the orchestra in its National Day concert with renowned violinist Ning Feng, performing the Butterfly Lovers Violin Concerto and Chen Qigang’s Instants d’un Opéra de Pékin. Young pianist Serena Wang will play the deeply romantic Grieg’s Piano Concerto. The concert also includes works by Dvořák and Kreisler. (24 & 25 September 2021)
- Have yourself a merry little Christmas with Chorusmaster and bass-baritone Apollo Wong, HK Phil Chorus, The Hong Kong Children’s Choir and the HK Phil. With a selection of carols and excerpts from Christmas classics – Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker, Handel’s Messiah, and Franck’s Panis Angelicus – to all-time favourites including Joe Hisaishi’s My Neighbour Totoro and Anderson’s A Christmas Festival, spend this joyful festival with the HK Phil to warm you. (23 & 24 December 2021)
- The orchestra welcomes the year 2022 with Viennese waltzes and sparkling polkas, stirring marches and beautiful love-songs, as well as Spanish passion, French elegance, British pageantry and a selection of Hong Kong favourites, under the baton of Principal Guest Conductor Yu Long, along with soprano Yuki Ip, mezzo-soprano Samantha Chong, and Xuefei Yang on the guitar and Yiwen Lu on erhu. (30 December 2021)
Music for everyone
- Conductor and pianist David Greilsammer* transports you to a galaxy far, far away, through John Williams’ Star Wars: Imperial March, and experience the energy of 1960s jet travel in his Escapades with Timothy Sun’s saxophone playing. Another ever-popular composer to be featured in the same programme, who is also an expert in storytelling over music, is Mozart with his Haffner Symphony and Piano Concerto no. 17. (17 & 18 September 2021)
- Movie in concert is a double treat for the audience. Steven Spielberg’s Jurassic Park on a large screen paired with John Williams’ brilliant film score performed live by the HK Phil will be premiered in the city. Watch out for that Tyrannosaurus: it has never sounded bigger! (22 & 23 October 2021)
- Conductor Andrew Ling and Happy Gabby join the HK Phil stage in a musical adventure to Germany, with a brief layover in Paris, and some more places. Join Captain Happy Gabby and the HK Phil on this "love at first flight" journey! (26 November 2021)
- There’s just something magical about the music from Spain, and for centuries, composers have simply drunk in the beauty, the melodies, and the raw, unrestrained passion. Master of the guitar MILOŠ* takes the spotlight in Rodrigo’s iconic Concierto de Aranjuez, Piazzolla’s sultry “new tango” – Libertango and Spanish Romance from Jeux Interdits. Conductor Jaume Santonja brings you more in the evenings with Turina’s La procesión del Rocío, Debussy’s Images: Iberia and Falla’s Three Cornered Hat: Suite no. 2. (10 & 11 December 2021)
*David Greilsammer and MILOŠ are invited through a special collaboration between the HK Phil and Premiere Performances of Hong Kong.
The Orchestra Academy Hong Kong – Fellowship Programme 2021/22 Season
The Orchestra Academy Hong Kong is the first joint programme co-directed by the HK Phil and the School of Music of The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts (HKAPA), funded by “TrustTomorrow” of The Swire Group Charitable Trust with a sponsorship of approximately HK$9 million over a 3-year period.
The programme, consisting of two schemes namely Fellowship Programme and Young Pro Platform, aims at enhancing professional training for distinguished graduates from HKAPA’s School of Music and facilitating their career development in the orchestral field.
For Fellowship Programme 2021/22 season, SIX Fellows are selected and they are Vivian Shen Ting-chia, violin; Victor Lee, double bass; Alice Hui Ka-ching , flute; Fox Chan King-hei, bassoon; Kinson Chan, trumpet; and Samuel Chan, percussion.
Starting from September 2021, Fellows will undergo intensive orchestral training with the HK Phil and participate in the mentorship scheme, gaining insights into the professional life of orchestral players from an assigned HK Phil musician. They will also contribute their talents to community through volunteering opportunities.
The HK Phil collaborates with Opera Hong Kong, The Hong Kong Joy of Music Festival 2021, and HKU MUSE in the coming October. Stay tuned to websites of the orchestra (hkphil.org) as well as the corresponding arts groups for more details.
A new discount scheme at URBTIX
This season the HK Phil offers a more flexible ticketing scheme with attractive discounts at URBTIX. For standard tickets, the general public is able to enjoy up to 20% off, while Club Bravo members are entitled up to an exclusive 30% off, plus other upgraded privileges and benefits. The more programmes you purchase, the more you save. Tickets will be available on URBTIX from 4 August 2021, Wednesday, 10AM.
HK Phil 2021/22 Season
No. of Programmes
1 – 2
3 – 5
Club Bravo Member Discounts
How to Buy
In Person: Visit any URBTIX outlets
Online: Visit URBTIX website www.urbtix.com
Telephone: Credit Card Booking (available 10AM – 8PM daily) at 2111 5999
Mobile App: My URBTIX
For ticketing details, please refer to pages 12 to 15 of the Programme Brochure.
Club Bravo Membership
Launched in 2000, Club Bravo creates a bridge between our orchestra and lovers of symphonic music who want a closer relationship with the HK Phil. Other than the guaranteed 15% discount for standard tickets and up to 30% discount when purchasing multiple programmes on URBTIX this season, there are more exclusive privileges and benefits for Club Bravo members, including:
- Priority Registration for HK Phil free concerts and events, including Swire Symphony Under The Stars and Swire Classic Insights series.
- Exclusive member discounts and benefits at designated merchants such as German Pool, TASCHEN Hong Kong Flagship Store, designated restaurants and bars in The Peninsula Hong Kong, Tom Lee Music, discounted tickets from numerous arts and culture groups in Hong Kong, and many more.
- Free access to exclusive Open Rehearsals, Artist Talks and other special events.
Join Club Bravo to enjoy fabulous discounts and privileges now!
Visit hkphil.org/clubbravo for further details.
Watch & Listen
It is the mission of the HK Phil to share music in a more accessible way with everyone. Since last season the orchestra has been broadcasting various recording and streaming projects on official website and social media channels, to keep the connection between our audience and the orchestra.
The latest online channel “Watch & Listen” which contains all of the HK Phil’s previous online content, along with a new season of “Phil Your Life” – fusing music with food, wellness and storytelling – was launched this July.
A brand new audio series “Symphonic Summer with Jaap” will be premiered in August 2021. Be sure to keep an eye on HK Phil’s various online platforms!
Education and Outreach Initiatives of the HK Phil
Jockey Club Keys to Music Education Programme
With the support from The Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust, the Jockey Club Keys to Music Education Programme has brought tremendous benefits to local teachers and students every season since 2012. More than 200,000 students and educators have been inspired by the special music activities – School Concerts, Ensemble Visits, Focused Ensemble Visits and Instrumental Masterclasses – presented by the HK Phil. Since the 2018/19 season, a new initiative has been included in the programme – ensemble residency at the iconic Tai Kwun, Centre for Heritage and Arts in Hong Kong, including afternoon Chamber Music Series at the JC Cube and lunchtime performances at the Laundry Steps. Adapting to a new normal after the pandemic, some activities are presented online or in a hybrid mode. Regardless of social-distancing measures, students and teachers continue to enjoy the joy of music and are kept inspired. For more information, please visit hkphil.org/ktm.
The Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust is the exclusive sponsor of the Jockey Club Keys to Music Education Programme.
The Tung Foundation – Young Audience Scheme
Presented by the HK Phil and sponsored by The Tung Foundation, Young Audience Scheme is one of the HK Phil’s audience-building initiatives and is in its 25th year. This scheme encourages young people (local full-time students ages 6 to 25) to embrace the joy of classical music through a comprehensive membership experience. Members can enjoy exclusive opportunities and privileges, such as meeting HK Phil or world-class musicians, year-round reward schemes and souvenirs, discounts, and other activities and events. The HK Phil also produces an online educational series introducing instruments – “What Are You Playing?”, to keep members engaged with our musicians. For more information, please visit hkphil.org/yas.
The Young Audience Scheme is sponsored by The Tung Foundation.
The Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation Composers Scheme
Organised by the HK Phil and sponsored by The Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation, The Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation Composers Scheme provides a platform for local emerging composers to broaden their experience of orchestral writing. Four to six selected composers will have the opportunity to present an orchestral work of between three and four minutes’ duration with the HK Phil at a Public Working Session and Showcase. Each year, one outstanding composer will be commissioned to write a new work for the HK Phil, premiered in a HK Phil concert. For more information, please visit hkphil.org/composersscheme.
The Composers Scheme is sponsored by The Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation.
HK Phil Community Concert
The HK Phil believes music has the power to enrich lives and souls. It helps form a harmonious society, and we recognise the value of this by bringing music to the community. The HK Phil Community Concert is a long-established initiative reaching out to students and communities, providing world-class symphonic music for the Hong Kong public free-of-charge. We engage students to perform in the Community Concert as a means of nurturing local audiences and musicians. It also helps to boost their confidence, communication, cooperation, and listening skills.
The Swire Community Concert for special needs is title sponsored by Swire.
The Community Concert is sponsored by The Tung Foundation.
Connect with Us
The HK Phil’s informative website hkphil.org offers the latest concert and ticketing information. Music lovers can also stay tuned through the HK Phil’s updates on Facebook (www.facebook.com/HKPhil), Instagram (www.instagram.com/hkphilharmonic/), Twitter (twitter.com/hkphilharmonic), LinkedIn (www.linkedin.com/company/the-hong-kong-philharmonic-society-ltd), Weibo (www.weibo.com/hkpo), WeChat (please scan the QR code below). Videos from the HK Phil are also available on YouTube (www.youtube.com/HKPhilharmonic) and Bilibili (http://space.bilibili.com/1857720921).
HK Phil WeChat Channel:
Thank You Partners
The HK Phil would like to express its heartfelt gratitude to the following partners for their support:
Major Funding Body: The Government of the HKSAR
Principal Patron: SWIRE
Venue Partner: Hong Kong Cultural Centre
- American Express
- China Life Insurance (Overseas) Company Limited
- Chow Sang Sang
- CMB Wing Lung Bank
- Foundation for Amazing Potentials
- The Hong Kong Chinese Enterprises Association
- The Tung Foundation
- United Overseas Bank
The Jockey Club Keys to Music Education Programme is exclusively sponsored by
- The Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust
The Tung Foundation Young Audience Scheme is sponsored by
- The Tung Foundation
The Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation Composers Scheme is sponsored by
- The Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation
The Resident Conductor’s Podium for Lio Kuokman is sponsored by
- The Tung Foundation
The Musician’s Chair for Principal Cello Richard Bamping is sponsored by
- C. C. Chiu Memorial Fund
Official Logistics Partner
- Kerry Logistics
- The Peninsula Hong Kong
Official Personal Protection Partner
- The Peninsula Hong Kong
Pro-bono Legal Counsel