JAAP | Shostakovich 5
The Music and Life of Shostakovich
Filled with inner conflicts, Shostakovich's attempt to expand the creative space under the authoritarian regime was never easy.
Featuring the most significant post-war biography of the great composer written by Laurel Fay, and the essay collection penned by the late scholar Richard Taruskin, this talk will offer the historical and musicological perspectives to shine a light on Shostakovich's works and life.
Event Details: CLICK HERE
For its composer, Shostakovich’s Fifth Symphony was a matter of life and death, and every note blazes with conviction. In the hands of Music Director Jaap van Zweden, it’s one of 20th century music’s most unforgettable experiences. And talking of unforgettable, meet the all-star pairing of violinist Akiko Suwanai and Prokofiev’s First Violin Concerto – plus a fascinating new work from a true rising star among Hong Kong composers, Simon Yip Sai-man.
The concert runs approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes with an intermission.
*New commission from the HK Phil under The Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation Hong Kong Composers Scheme.
For standard tickets, the general public can enjoy up to 15% off, while Club Bravo members are entitled up to an exclusive 30% off for ticket purchases.
Change of Programme
The advertised programme of “Jaap | Shostakovich 5” at Hong Kong Cultural Centre Concert Hall on 9 & 10 DEC 2022 has been adjusted. The original Prokofiev’s Violin Concerto no. 2 is now changed to Prokofiev’s Violin Concerto no. 1. Artists and other programmes remain unchanged.
Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra (5 AUG 2022)
Discount Scheme for Programmes in 2022/23 Season#:
- General public are entitled to 15% off for each purchase of standard tickets for 4 and more programmes
- Club Bravo members are entitled to 15% off for standard tickets; 30% off for each purchase of standard tickets for 4 and more programmes
#Discounts are calculated for each transaction and cannot be applied to the next transaction. This discount cannot be used in conjunction with other offers, and are not applicable for Chamber Music Concerts, Lio Kuokman × Johnny Yim | Journey of Time and HK Phil x HK Ballet Co-Present: Carmina Burana.
- Full-time students, citizens ages 60 and above, people with disabilities & the minder*, CSSA recipients: 50% off (with quota, this discount cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers)
* For purchase of each concessionary ticket for people with disabilities, the customer can purchase one ticket of same concession for a minder.
- Club Bravo members: 15% off
- Young Audience Scheme members: 60% off (max. 1 ticket), accompanying adults – 10% off (max. 2 tickets)
- City Contemporary Dance Company “Dance Inspirations” members, Friends of Hong Kong Ballet, Zuni Friends: 10% off
- Chung Ying “Energy Fun Club plus” members, HKRep Pals, Friends of Hong Kong Chinese Orchestra, Friends of Hong Kong Dance Company, CineClub : 10% off (max. 2 tickets)
- Discounts only available at URBTIX outlets upon presentation of valid staff/membership cards:
- Staff of Swire Group: 15% off
- City Contemporary Dance Company “Student Dance Inspirations” members: 10% off
- Members of Hong Kong Arts Administrators Association, Members of Fringe Club, Members of The Law Society of Hong Kong, MOViE MOViE members, Members of Hong Kong Orchestral Teachers’ Circle, Members of Hong Kong Piano/Electone Teachers’ Circle, HKU SPACE Alumni members: 10% off (max. 2 tickets)
- Group Booking (standard tickets only): 10% off for 11-20 tickets, 15% off for 21-40 tickets
I. House Rules:
- No eating or drinking
- No photography, recording or filming
- Please turn off your mobile phone and other electronic devices
- Please keep noise to a minimum during the performance
- Please reserve your applause until the end of the entire work
II. Admission Details:
- Except for exempted persons*, all persons are required to use the "LeaveHomeSafe" mobile application to scan the venue QR code before they are allowed to enter the venue
- All exempted persons* are required to complete a record form to register their names, the first four digits or letters of their identification documents, their contact numbers and the date and time of their visits. Relevant identification documents will be requested for verification by the staff on-site during registration, who will also verify the contact numbers by making phone calls
- Under the "Vaccine Pass" arrangement, except for scenarios with exemption, all persons aged 12 or above are required to present an electronic version or a paper copy of their COVID-19 vaccination record or Exemption Certificate for admission. For the latest vaccination requirements of the “Vaccine Pass”, please refer to the Government’s COVID-19 Thematic Website
- Temperature check is arranged at designated entrances. Masks must be worn throughout the venue and the concert hall
- Please use the disinfectant dispensers and always maintain social distancing
- Your seat may be adjusted to meet the requirements of Venue's anti-epidemic measures
- Persons with fever, symptoms of illness and those who have been in contact with COVID-19 patients within the last 14 days should not attend the performance
- The HK Phil / Venue reserves the right to deny entry or to require anyone to leave if, in their opinion, the above-mentioned instructions have not been observed. The HK Phil reserves all rights of final arbitration in case of dispute
- Venue may update their anti-epidemic admission measures in line with the Government regulations. Please refer to the Venue’s official website for the latest details. Venue may refuse admission for those who fail to comply with the measures
* Exempted persons include: (i) those who are aged below 12 or aged 65 or above; (ii) those with disabilities that render use of the app difficult; and (iii) individuals who have been granted exemptions based on actual circumstances
- Stalls C1-2/61-62, AA1-7/94-100, BB1-8/94-101 & HH27
- Wheelchair Box 1-2